Monday, October 11, 2010

6-3: Should the World Become a Cashless Society? (page 257)

The reason why I made this selection is because the article interested me, and I wanted to see what it was specifically about.  I also chose this article because the other ones listed that we could choose from seemed less interesting than this one. 

The world should not become a cashless society because like it says in the article "A smart card purchase preserves a record of the transaction that could become available to other merchants, advertisers, government agencies, or hackers.  Having a cashless society would in my opinion cause more harm than good, the positives for the smart card get outweighed by the negative effects.  For instance what would happen if your smart card had a malfunction and spent more money than what you really did, technically difficulties would be bound to happen at some point. 

I would not be comfortable using a smart card or fingerprint instead of actual cash because I feel like the fingerprint and smart cards would just be a way for the government to keep track of you.  It comes down to being a complete invasion of privacy which would violate my rights as a American citizen.  If you use a fingerprint or smart card where does all that information go and who gets to see it?  I'm sure that you will be able to see your own transactions and such, but you would never truly know who else would see it.  When it all comes down to it I think this is just another way to have the government keep track of people without actually telling them the main reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment